Zanzibar Island also known as the spice island , Pemba Island and couple of other smaller islands make together a semi-autonomous archipelago called simple , Zanzibar .
Zanzibar was the location of the world’s shortest war in 1896 when they surrendered to the British Army after only 38 minutes.
Zanzibar Island is located in the Indian Ocean, about 40 km from the Tanzania.n It is is approximately 90km long and 30km wide.
Fishing and agriculture are the main economic activities of the local people.
Zanzibar Island was once the world’s largest producer of cloves. Although cloves are still a major export along with coconut products and spices , tourism is growing rapidly with more visitors coming to Zanzibar Island each year.
With only 100,000 visitors annually the potential for tourism is huge.
Attractions in Zanzibar :
- Zanzibar Island, The Spice Island, was an important stop in the Spice Trade centuries ago. Today, it is one of the few places in the world where saffron is produced, and many other Middle Eastern/Asian spices (cardamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, etc.) are grown here. You can go on a spice tour, which winds you around the island, showing you how anise (licorice) grows , letting you sample some of the exotic fruit grown on the island , and allowing you to tour the beautiful plantations.
- Jozani Forest has excellent nature trails, featuring some very exotic (and large) trees. Even more interesting, though, are the Red Colobus Monkeys that live here. Native to the Island, these monkeys are now nearly extinct. They are very curious and playful and will likely pose for a picture.
- You can admire historically important buildings in Stone Town ,the only functioning ancient town in East Africa , like The House of Wonders and The Arab Fort.
- The market in Stone Town is one of the largest, most vibrant open-air markets anywhere. Here, you can find several varieties of bananas, “elephant garlic” unique to the island, the largest avocados you’ll probably ever see, and more. Even if you have no intentions of purchasing food, the spectacle alone is worth a visit.
- Beautiful sandy beaches with fringing coral reefs and the magic of historic Stone Town makes a wonderful destination from this small island .
An awesome tourist destination awaits you , Zanzibar Island !