Niagara Falls is an incredible waterfall system located on the border between Ontario, Canada and New York of the United States.
Niagara Falls is comprised of two major sections separated by Goat Island: Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side and Bridal Veil Falls on the American side. The Horseshoe Falls are 2,600 feet ( 792 m) wide .The American Falls are measuring 1,060 feet (323 m) wide. The highest drop of 173 feet (53 m) take place on Horseshoe Falls .
Niagara Falls were formed when glaciers receded at the end of the Wisconsin glaciation (the last ice age), and water from the newly formed Great Lakes carved a path through the Niagara Escarpment en route to the Atlantic Ocean. While not exceptionally high, the Niagara Falls are very wide. More than 6 million cubic feet (168,000 m³) of water falls over the crest line every minute in high flow, and almost 4 million cubic feet (110,000 m³) on average. Horseshoe Falls accounts for approximately 90% of the water volume. The water is supplied by the Niagara River.It is the most powerful waterfall in North America.
The Niagara Falls are renowned both for their beauty and as a valuable source of hydroelectric power. Managing the balance between recreational, commercial, and industrial use has been a big challenge but since now has not been disrupted .
Niagara Falls attractions combine the best of old and new things to do. An original Niagara attraction, take a classic Maid of the Mist boat ride in the morning and head off to a fast-paced Whirlpool Jet Boat Tour in the afternoon. In the afternoon you can relax shopping or maybe make a bet at Fallsview Casino. You can also visit Niagara Botanical Gardens or maybe visit Skylon Tower for the best view around.
With so many things to do in Niagara Falls, it’s impossible to get bored.
For a fun-filled Ontario family vacation, take full advantage of the Falls experience. Go under them, behind them, and over them if you have the stomach for it. Clifton Hill was designed to entertain kid crowd with games galore, and don’t forget the animals at places like Marineland and the Butterfly Conservatory. The Greg Frewin Theatre Magic Show let’s kids get photos with a tiger. A great souvenir.
Grown ups have more things to do in Niagara Falls than ever before. They can take golf courses and an afternoon sipping Chardonnay on a Niagara wine tour in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The Fallsview restaurant, a spa retreat, a Niagara sightseeing tour, or even just a romantic kiss under the Falls fireworks can make your Niagara vacation unforgettable.
- Six million cubic feet (168,000 cubic meters) of water flow over the crest every minute during high flow
- Located between twin cities of Niagara Falls, New York and Niagara Falls, Ontario.
- The Falls at Niagara are about 12,000 years old
- The Niagara River flows at approximately 35 miles/hour (56.3 kilometers/hour).
- Falls were formed when melting glaciers formed massive fresh-water lakes (the Great Lakes) one of which (Lake Erie) ran downhill toward another (Lake Ontario).
- Man-made attractions of Niagara Falls include Maid of the Mist, Table Rock Scenic Tunnels, Spanish Aero Car, Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum, Marineland, Casino